Wednesday, November 12, 2008

November 13

Nov 13 - Today from Proverbs 13 we look at verse 2
"From the fruit of his lips a man enjoys good things, but the unfaithful have a craving for violence."

Determining that fruit is an outcome containing creative seed that bears after its own kind, we continue to look at the creative power of words. Perhaps there is nothing more demonstrative of this concept than that of being a parent. Parents are sowing seed into their children 24/7. I became acutely aware of this when my son began driving. Whenever our family traveled by auto, I was the driver about 99% of the time. Without realizing it, I was seeding an attitude into my boys concerning other drivers with the fruit of my lips. When my son began to drive, and I rode with him, I was shocked to hear and see all of my improper attitudes displayed in his attitude. How could I rebuke him? I sowed that seed! As I thought about it, that seed was sown into my life by my dad. What if I had made a conscious effort to employ the power of the Holy Spirit to manage a 'crop failure'? What if instead of making wise remarks in front of my children about the perceived ineptness of other drivers on the road (a craving for violence?), I would have yielded my lips to the Holy Spirit and displayed patience and kindness (good things)? Perhaps then my son would have been one of those rare drivers who shows consistent courteousness to the other drivers on the road. Instead, he had taken on my arrogant, competitive edge. I didn't really like what I saw in him - and I never saw it in myself until I saw the fruit of my sowing it in him. That did not excuse him for his behavior, but it sure made it more difficult for him to be a courteous driver.
One of the truly good things in the life of a parent is to see their children grow in good character. This proverb reveals that the choices of words we use in the presence of our children can be one of the most dynamic influences in this process. Not just when we are trying to get their attention to teach or instruct them - but 24/7. The seed finds soil whether we realize we are sowing them or not. When mom and dad are in 'the other room', or in the front seat of the car, they are not isolated. Little ears are constantly on the alert. Fruit is offered, seeds are sown, little hearts emulate the ones they naturally trust and admire most. Something of the parent's own attitudes of life become ingrained in the lives of their children. It's an awesome responsibility.
True story. My sister-in-law was in the choir in her church. One Sunday morning during practice, the little daughter of one of the other choir members showed up wearing a beautiful frilly little dress. "My, what a beautiful dress you have on today," said one of the ladies. "Yeah, but I've gotta be very careful because it's a b--ch to iron," replied the little girl.
Mom, of course, was mortified. That seed quickly came to fruition in the wrong place at the wrong time. Had she not heard it in the original context, mom would have probably wondered where her little girl ever picked up such coarse language.
Thank goodness for each of us there is One who can break the chain of poor attitudes and corrupt seed. When we appropriate the grace that Christ so freely offers, the old passes away, and we become a new creation (2 Cor. 5:17). Instead of the corrupt fruit of self-centeredness being offered, the good fruit of the Spirit begins to take its place. In that fruit is contained the seed that bears after its own kind. The chain is broken.
My language and attitude toward other drivers is significantly different these days. I am a new creation. My sons are not consistently there now to witness that change as I am driving. It makes me wonder if the fruit of my dad's driving attitude is going to continue to influence my grandchildren's driving attitudes? It makes for a great incentive for prayer for a crop failure. Nothing is impossible with God!

No comments: