Saturday, December 6, 2008

December 7

Dec 7 – Today from Proverbs 7 we look at verses 14 and 15
"I have fellowship offerings at home; today I have fulfilled my vows. So I came out to meet you; I looked for you and have found you."

Verses 6 through 23 of this chapter tells the sad tale of a simple young man who was ensnared by a wayward wife (adulteress). The story reveals that from the adulteress’ point of view, in spite of her seductive words, he was really just a random victim. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time. But part of her clever seduction was to stroke his ego a bit by telling him that she specifically came out that evening just to find him. This was a half-truth. When she said, "I looked for you and have found you," she was saying "I looked for a victim and found you." His simplicity and his ego would never allow him to hear it that way, and that was just the way she wanted it.
Before stating that she was out looking for him, she provided the reason why. She makes a reference to a cultural norm that would readily be recognized by the students of the Teacher – the fellowship offerings.
When a devout Hebrew brought their peace offering to the temple, the greatest part of the flesh was given back to the offerer to be taken home and feasted upon with friends. It was to all be eaten that same day with none left over until the morning (Lev. 7:15). This kind of meat was a rare and enjoyable treat. In the culture of the day the adulteress was, in essence, saying to the young man, "I have plenty of excellent provisions at home, and it’s too much for me to enjoy by myself. I am by law to eat it in fellowship with someone, so you immediately came to mind. So, I came looking for you and now I have found you. Oh, lucky me. Oh, lucky you!" She goes on to share that her husband isn’t there to share because he left on a long business trip, leaving her all alone. Being the simple young man that he was, he fell for it, and paid the price.
The Teacher uses this illustration to teach his students what to beware of in the art of seduction. This particular portion reveals a couple of important lessons:

1. The seducer uses convincing practical elements, (in this case, even that of a traditional ceremonial religious practice) to hide any threat the offer holds.

2. The seducer couples that with an appeal to the ego – making the victim feel special and privileged to be in such a position as to even consider the offer before him.

It’s the one-two punch of a seducer, only the pain comes much later. Verse 21 defines these seductive tactics as persuasive words and smooth talk. They can be very deadly to one who does not walk in the ways of wisdom. Life is replete with seducers, and the simple are their greatest victims.

No comments: