Monday, January 19, 2009

January 20

Jan 20 - Today from Proverbs 20 we look at verse 25

"It is a trap for a man to dedicate something rashly and only later consider his vows."

'Dedicate' - devoted to a special purpose. We can dedicate many things; time, money, energy, objects. . . the list is inexhaustible. How could we be 'trapped' into dedicating something? In the majority of cases, I would say through our emotions; anger, pity, desire, sorrow, pride, discouragement, and most of all greed. Emotional decisions are very tricky and often spontaneous. We usually don't logically think through what the long term consequences would be when we let our emotions rule in a decision. This is a great benefit to con artists. People who make important decisions by their emotions are known as 'suckers' - and as the old saying goes, "There is a sucker born every minute." Once the money is handed over or the contract signed - you're 'dedicated' to it. Later on, when emotions wane and logic settles back in, you begin to 'consider your vows', and you realize that you didn't make such a good decision after all.Wisdom and maturity go hand in hand. As one matures, they learn not to be emotionally manipulated into making important decisions. In fact, verse 18 fits along with this verse; "Make plans by seeking advice." If you are emotionally involved in a major decision, seek the advice of trusted friends or reputable professionals to see if it is a sound decision. When there are areas where you do not have the needed wisdom in a situation, you can benefit from the wisdom of others who do. One final thought, "Do not make critical decisions when you are emotionally unstable." Stick with the situation until your emotions are under control and you are able to begin to clearly reason through it. It takes practice - but wisdom is practical.

3 comments:

kc bob said...

I really liked this Ken:

"Wisdom and maturity go hand in hand."

I think that wisdom is a virtue of the heart. In addition to the emotions that you speak of, I have often been led astray by my mental rationalizations and logic. In contrast I seem to be okay when I operate from an inner and unmistakable peace.. even if things don't turn out the way that I thought that they would.

Blessings to you today Ken. I appreciate you.

Ken said...

Great insights.
I wonder though ... that 'inner and unmistakable peace' you speak of ... why couldn't I achieve (or perhaps experience might be the better word) this when I was younger? I sure could have saved myself some painful experiences.
:)

kc bob said...

Not sure about you Ken but my younger years were all about a literal and dogmatic brainy approach to God and His word.. age and experience have taught me the futility of those times.. and to embrace that inner and unmistakable peace.. even when they don't make sense to my head :)