Wednesday, July 16, 2008

July 17

Jul 17 - Today from Proverbs 17 we look at verse 17
"A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity."

If ever there were a proverb that points to the character of the Lord Jesus, this would be one. He sets the supreme example as to what it means to be a true friend. "A friend loves at all times." A friend can be angry with you, but He will never betray you. A friend can be disappointed in you, but He will never forsake you. A friend can be wounded by you, but He will never strike back in revenge. A friend loves at all times.
Jesus never spoke frivolously. That which came from His mouth originated in the heart of the Father. "I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me." (John 8:28). Given that truth, we can stand in joyous awe at His statement from John 15:12-17, "My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit - fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other."
I would like to share some thoughts pertaining to today's proverb.
My first thought: "I thought Jesus loves us unconditionally. Here He says we are His friends if we do what He commands? It sounds like there is a condition here." Jesus does love unconditionally. But He does not offer His friendship unconditionally. He offers His friendship to those who will receive it, and those who would receive it are those who are willing to love as He loves.
My second thought: "I thought I was to be a servant of God. What is the difference between a servant and a friend?" Every created being serves God - either voluntarily or involuntarily. It is a divine attribute of God that He is able to make all things work toward His purposes - even evil and wickedness. The friend is still to serve, but is brought to a different level because God's purposes have been revealed and made known. Once the servant who has been given revelation chooses to receive God's friendship in Christ, a relationship has been established.
My third thought: "When I fail to love my brother/sister as Christ loved me, does His friendship with me terminate?" No. His mercies are new every day. When we fail, we are to run to Him in confession and repentance, and he is faithful and just to forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9). Our relationship is eternally dependent on His shed blood. (1 John 1:7). He is not waiting for us to sin so that He might be released from His commitment. He is waiting for us to come to Him and receive mercy so that He may deepen His commitment. He is a true friend. Those He loves He loves to the end.
My final thought: "Why did Jesus choose me?" For this I have no answer - only eternal gratitude. He chose me while I was yet a sinner. There was nothing lovely in me, yet He loved me. I was hostile and rebellious toward Him, yet He drew me. I deserved nothing, yet gained everything. Had He not first loved me, I could never love Him. Had he not revealed the Father's purposes to me, I could have never received His friendship. Had He not given the Spirit of Grace, I could never love my brother/sister as He loves me. Had He not made His mercies new every day, I could never remain His friend.

What a friend we have in Jesus! Amen.

No comments: