Sunday, July 6, 2008

July 7

Jul 7 - Today from Proverbs 7 we look at verses 6 & 7

"At the window of my house I looked through the lattice. I saw among the simple, I noticed among the young men, a youth who lacked judgment."

This chapter is a story with a very clear moral. The 'youth' in this section is the main character in the story. The lessons to be learned in the story are learned through his mistakes. Let's note the obvious assumptions:
He is a young man, therefore we can easily assume he has been exposed to proper moral instruction.
He is a Jew, therefore we can assume that his moral instruction is based in God's Word.
He does not receive instruction well, therefore he lacks judgment.
He appears to be wandering without any other purpose than to see what adventures lie in store.
The first two assumptions are positive. If they are correct, we can say that the parents and the educators (Rabbis), at least tried to give the young man some moral foundation. The second two assumptions then are the problem. The young man may have been offered moral instruction, but the choice to receive it was his responsibility. The father/teacher telling this story pleads with his own son to receive moral instruction in the first five verses of this chapter ("My son, keep my words and store up my commands within you), and then tells this story to illustrate what happens when we don't ("little knowing it will cost him his life" -v.23).
Here lies the difficult spiritual concept for many; spiritual maturity has little or nothing to do with physical age. I attended church, Sunday School, Catechism, and Reformed Church Youth Fellowship throughout my formative years. (God bless my mother for her trying.) I was exposed to and offered abundant moral instruction. But I received very little. I was exactly like the young man in the story. I walked among the simple, and I walked with a severe lack of judgment. It was probably the prayers of my mom and by the grace of God alone that I did not die young. I pretty much wandered the paths of life without purpose, seeking whatever adventure lie ahead . . . until . . . at the age of thirty years old, I met the Savior. It was at that instant that I was so very grateful for my Christian upbringing. All of those disconnected Bible stories and pieces of information suddenly all came together and made sense to me. The cross and the empty tomb became real. The Bible came alive. The moral foundation my parents and educators had laid suddenly became solid under my spiritual feet, and my spiritual life took on purpose and direction. I became the witness looking back through the lattice of my house, watching myself wandering aimlessly down life's paths. How grateful I am to my Savior for rescuing me from those paths before I followed them to their final destination - "the chambers of death" (v.27).
I have three offerings for you today:
If you have not yet met the Savior (I may not know you, but I know this), no matter what your physical age, you are on the shadowy paths that lead to death. You are walking among the simple, and you lack judgment. It is not my intent to insult you. I know from personal experience. There is a remedy, and it is more wonderful than you can imagine. Seek the Lord Jesus, and ask Him to reveal Himself to you. When He does knock on the door of your heart, let Him in. Confess your sinfulness, surrender your life, and receive His life.
If you have met the Savior and yet still find yourself walking among the simple and lacking judgment, let Him be Lord. Receive His instruction. Store up His commands within you. Let them guide your thinking and your life. Discipleship is a life-long commitment.
If you have children, or are a moral educator - take heart. Even when you see absolutely no fruit for your efforts, know that you are sowing valuable seed. I pity the moral educators of my youth. I know that I often frustrated them, even disrupted their classes. They probably thought I was a hopeless cause. They never got to see the results of their labors in my life. But that does not negate their efforts. They will be rewarded one day for their faithfulness, and I am quite sure that I will be able to approach them personally and thank them. There is going to be JOY unlimited in heaven!
"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." (1 Cor. 13:11) We are born with a fallen nature. Children are naturally self-centered. We are disciplined and trained to grow out of it - but those who will not receive discipline and training do not benefit from it. Spiritual maturity is to live a God-centered life. It can only be fully achieved by having Him in your heart. Wisdom knows and honors Jesus Christ as both Savior and Lord.

No comments: