Sunday, August 3, 2008

August 3

Aug 3 - Today from Proverbs 3 we look at verse 34
"He mocks proud mockers but gives grace to the humble."

Initially, there is something unsettling here. "Lord Jesus, you taught us to bless those who persecute us. You taught us to love our enemy. You taught us to do everything in love. But here we see that you mock proud mockers. Is there something hidden here, or do you give us license to mock proud mockers?"
Let's clear one thing up. When Jesus came in the flesh, He emptied Himself and took the form of a servant (Phil. 2:6,7). He modeled life in mission for three and a half years for His Church - as the suffering servant, walking by faith. At the end of His life and ministry, after washing His disciples' feet, He asked "Do you understand what I have done for you? - I have set an example that you should do as I have done for you." (John 13:12, 15). When Jesus left the glory of heaven and came as a man to this earth, He also shifted in the roles of today's Proverb. When seated in heaven as the Lord of Glory, He functions with all the power and authority of God. When walking this earth as a servant and example in mission, He became the perfectly humbled. Jesus said to the Jews, "I do nothing on my own but only that what Father has taught me." (John 5:19 – paraphrase). Jesus wasn't born knowing and understanding all things. He was limited in His incarnation to what the Father revealed to Him. Because He was perfectly humble, He was full of grace and wisdom. Nowhere in His earthly ministry did He give us license to mock - as we understand mockery.
In my dictionary there are two definitions for mock: 1. To treat with ridicule or contempt, and 2. To mimic, as in sport. Although God does nothing in 'sport', the second definition comes closest in meaning to the word 'mocks' in this verse. The Hebrew word for 'mocker' in this verse literally means make mouths. Strangely, the same word is interpreted as 'interpreter' in Gen. 42:23 where Joseph was pretending to use an interpreter to communicate with his brothers. In this case it alludes to the effort it takes to pronounce a foreign language. I see that as somewhat significant. The 'mocker' is a person who derides the person of God. They do not acknowledge His infinite grace and that every breath they take is an attribute of His grace. A mocker says, at least in attitude, "I do not need God. All I have and all I have accomplished, I have done by my own wit and strength." I believe that this verse then says that God 'mimics' their 'foreign language' - the language of pride. He may say something like, "All right, if you are so self-sufficient, I will remove my special grace from your life. Let us see how well you really fare on your own wit and strength." Only the Sovereign God has the right or authority to make such a decision. We see exactly the same principle in Psalm 2:1-6, where nations conspire against God to throw off His rule. Little do they know that God rules by grace, and to throw off His rule is certain death. But God does not immediately send them to eternal destruction. He does rebuke them, but He does so by saying "I have installed my King on Zion, my holy hill." He tells them the truth. Then in verses 10-12 He calls the nations and their rulers to repentance. God's 'mockery' is attended by His call to repentance.
Our warning lies in the first half of today's Proverb; "Do not become so proud as to think you can handle life on your own. God may let you try." Our instruction lies in the second half of today's Proverb; "Acknowledge the goodness and the grace of God, and live a life of gratitude and servitude. By living in such a manner, God will supply abundant grace for every situation."

No comments: