Wednesday, June 18, 2008

June 19

Jun 19 - Today from Proverbs 19 we look at verse 17
"He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward him for what he has done."

To be 'kind' in this passage means 'to bend or to stoop in kindness to an inferior'. At first that didn't sound very Christian to me - using the word 'inferior'. But then I thought about the incarnation - and the cross. I am suddenly overwhelmed with the kindness of the Lord. He was not merely a peer who took my place on that cross; He was God, the eternal Son. He was not merely born into time; He entered into time from the glory of Heaven, from the right hand of His Father. He did not come into this world without choice; He chose to leave a place of unspeakable beauty and wonder to come into this sin-laden, hate-filled world to be misunderstood, betrayed, rejected, and crucified. He stooped in kindness toward me; an unlovable, unworthy inferior, if there ever was one. I guess there is not a more fitting act for a Christian than to be kind - to stoop in kindness toward an inferior.
In order to really appreciate what this proverb is saying about being kind, we must view it in light of the Savior's example. There must be an attitude of compassion in order for the act to be kindness. To stoop to the level of an inferior could also be the definition for 'condescend'. In the context of which we most often hear this word, it is accompanied by an attitude of pride and takes on a negative feel of 'patronizing'. Jesus did not patronize us with an "I'm better than you" attitude. Jesus came as an act of passion. He had a deep desire to redeem mankind and restore him back into fellowship with the Father. He came with an attitude of kindness. He stooped not as a King throwing crumbs to the peasants; rather He stooped to shoulder our burdens and to carry away our sin.
This causes us to stop and ponder: Who are the inferior among us? Not inferior in value, but inferior in quality of life. In what ways are their lives inferior, and how can we apply kindness in the passion of the Lord? So impassioned is the Lord's heart for those who suffer, that He seems to take it as a personal favor when we minister to them. "If you will show them kindness, I will reward you." I can hardly comprehend that! But even Jesus Himself taught this principle in Matthew 25. There we read the parable of the talents, where the good stewards of the resources that God had provided them were rewarded with increase for sowing into His kingdom. Then we read the parable of the sheep and goats, which details where good stewards invested in His kingdom; "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." Here is the key to genuine compassion -- "Whatever you did for the least of these brothers of mine, you did to me." -- identifying with the disenfranchised. If you carefully read the parable, the motive of the 'sheep' was not reward. They didn't know what the Lord was talking about. "When did we ever see you in such circumstances?" That leaves us to conclude that their motive was the same as that of the Lord - passion. The 'sheep' were people of kindness, and that kindness was birthed in their hearts by the Holy Spirit. They simply abided in the vine, and the fruit of their lives was the natural result of that abiding.
I have received three words from the Lord during a fasting and praying. They were confirmed by a man whom I did not know, who himself was fasting and praying across the state. In His providence, the Lord got these words to me to encourage me in pursuing His desire. I share them with you here. I encourage you to listen for His voice in these words. It is the plea of a Father, and of a Savior who still has much to do . . . "Be the Church!"

No comments: