Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September 11

Sep 11 - Today from Proverbs 11 we look at verse 17
"A kind man benefits himself, but a cruel man brings trouble on himself." (NIV)
"The merciful man doeth good to his own soul, but the cruel troubleth his own flesh." (KJV)

Kindness. Have you ever tried to define it? What makes a kind person kind? I looked it up in my desktop dictionary and there it says "generous or warm-hearted character". Then I used my concordance to see how the original languages of the Bible defined kindness. The N.T. Greek translates to either kindness or gentleness (e.g. Gal. 5:22), and literally means excellence in character. The O.T. Hebrew is translated to either kind or merciful (as we see in today's text). Hebrew is a very pictorial language. The literal translation for 'kind' in this passage is rooted in the idea of bowing at the neck. It signifies courtesy to an equal. I like that. What makes a kind person kind? They are courteous and they treat you as an equal - that is excellence of character.
The verse previous to this verse says "a kindhearted woman gains respect". The term kindhearted in this verse goes even a step farther. It is rooted in the idea of bending or stooping in kindness to an inferior. In both terms we see a person with excellence in character. We see Jesus.
As I reflect on my own character in light of His, I am convicted. Today he says to me "Although in my very nature I am God, I made myself nothing and took on the nature of a servant for you" (Phil. 2:6, 7). He stooped in kindness to me, an inferior in every respect. Today He says to me "I no longer call you servant. . . I have called you my friend" (John 15:15). Kindness. The Lord of eternity bows at the neck to me, extending courtesy as an 'equal' (the firstborn among many brethren - a joint heir with Christ). I am not worthy. Today He asks me "Do you understand what I have done for you?" (John 13:12). He washed my feet. He girded Himself and became my servant. He says to me "I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you" (John 13:15).
I must repent of my unkind ways, and ask for grace to be more like Him - excellence in character, warm-hearted, acknowledging others as equals in value, stooping in kindness to those who are 'marginalized', learning to wash the feet of those who are too proud to wash mine . . . I have a long way to go. How about you? As we look to the cross, let us look to be more like Him. In order to do this, we must go to the cross daily and die with Him in order that we might experience His resurrection power. The power to be kind.

No comments: