Sunday, February 10, 2008

February 11

Feb 11 - Today from Proverbs 11 we look at verse 27
"He who seeks good finds goodwill, but evil comes to him who searches for it."

Today I am going to share something just a bit different. I believe this proverb speaks a lot about attitude and I heard a little story once, which reminds me of this proverb.
Back in an ancient culture where walls protected cities and the wise men of the cities sat in the gates, there was such an old wise man resting by the gate of just such a city. A stranger approached and said, "Greetings old man. I am on a venture looking for a new place to dwell. This appears to be a soundly protected city, what kind of people live here?"
"M-m-m h-m-m," said the old man. "Tell me, what kind of people lived in the city from which you came?"
"Oh, a surly bunch they were," replied the stranger. "The most unkind and contentious bunch as you'd ever want to meet. It is the very reason I left to seek another place to live."
"Oh dear," said the old man. "Then I am afraid you would not be happy here, for that is exactly the kind of people which inhabit this city."
"Why, thank you for your honesty," replied the stranger. "I'll just be on my way then."
Some time later the old man watched with interest as another stranger approached the gate and said, "Greetings old man. I am on a venture looking for a new place to dwell. This appears to be a soundly protected city, what kind of people live here?"
"M-m-m h-m-m," said the old man. "Tell me, what kind of people lived in the city from which you came?"
"A-h-h, it was a beautiful city with wonderfully warm people," he replied. "A man couldn't ask for better friends. It broke my heart to leave such fine people, but I knew it was time to move on."
"Well," replied the old man, "I think you will like it here. This city is inhabited with just such people. They would be pleased to meet such a fair man as yourself. I am sure you will find our city a fine place to settle."
People often create their own atmosphere. The rule in life (of course there are always exceptions), is kindness begets kindness - rudeness begets rudeness. People react to character. The old man in the story lived long enough and observed life closely enough to know that how the strangers viewed others was a result of their own attitude. This is important to know in every venue of life. How you come across to others will determine how they react to you. If you are looking for the good in others and have a servant attitude, you will most always find yourself in good company. If you are suspicious, cynical and always looking for the worst in others, you will most always find yourself in bad company. A believer is to mature in the character of Christ. His character is described in Galatians 5:22, the fruit of the Spirit. Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and self-control. People who display this kind of character are welcome in most any fellowship.
Lord, teach us anew to die to our old selfish nature, and to appropriate grace to live in Your character. Amen

No comments: