Monday, February 18, 2008

February 19

Feb 19 - Today from Proverbs 19 we look at verse 27
"Stop listening to instruction, my son, and you will stray from the words of knowledge."

My dictionary defines instruction as 'an authoritative direction'. The Hebrew word for instruction in this verse means to chastise, reproof or warn. It is a corrective action.
I can clearly remember a time when I was a boy and we went to the 'big lake' - Lake Michigan - for a day at the beach. This was a real treat back in the 50's. Things weren't like they are now. Our family had five boys and one car - and dad usually took the car to work. When the car was home, the 'big lake' was a long drive for mom with a carload of boys in the hot summer. I didn't know it then, but our country was in a recession which made 'long trips' (even to the beach) rare for us. What made this trip so particularly memorable was that we had taken along an inner tube that day and when I got my turn I paddled way out beyond what my mom considered to be a safe distance. But I felt secure - I was in a tube! There were fairly good waves that day. I laid back in the tube as the waves rocked me to and fro. I closed my eyes against the warm sun and enjoyed the rare experience to its fullest. A considerable amount of time passed and I sat up to see how close to the shore I was. One look and I panicked! I was somewhat closer to shore, but there were no people on the beach! In fact, the beach had turned into mostly grass and shrubs. I didn't recognize a thing. What happened? I began to frantically paddle toward the shore. I finally got to where my feet could touch and I pulled the tube on shore. I was probably only nine or ten at the time, and I was frightened and confused. I didn't know which way to turn, so I sat. After an eternity (worry has a way of turning minutes into hours), I heard some voices yelling. I began to yell back. Soon a couple of people appeared from around a point. One was my oldest brother and the other was a stranger. I later discovered that the stranger was a volunteer who helped to look for me. I was never so happy to see my brother. I picked up the tube and ran toward them, dragging it behind me. The beach with all the people on it was around the point and down quite some distance. When I got back my mom was both relieved and angry. I discovered that day that waves do not come straight into shore. They come at an angle, and when one paddles out and drifts in they can end up far from their point of origin. It's a lesson I'll never forget. The last thing I remember about the incident was how grateful I was that mom didn't tell my dad. I guess she figured I would never forget it either, so there was no need to have the point driven home - if you know what I mean.
Drifting is so subtle. Without paying attention, one can end up far from where they should be and never even realize that they moved. One needs to stay alert and have some fixed points of reference to keep one's self on course. It's not much different with straying. Rebellion is to intentionally walk away from an authority. Fallen man is in rebellion against God, intentionally separating himself from God's authority. The literal translation of death is just that - separation. Apart from the atoning blood of Jesus, we are dead in our sin. Straying is different than rebellion. Straying is to have one's attention diverted from God's authority and following after whatever that diversion might be. When one is distracted or diverted long enough, one ends up disoriented, far from the place where one should be, separated from a vital relationship with God. For all practical purposes, he is as dead as the rebel. We are not speaking of loss of eternal salvation here. We are talking about the loss of the relationship one used to have with the Savior. The church of Ephesus 'strayed' and Jesus called them to return to their 'first love' (Revelation 2:4, 5). God's Word is a 'fixed point', immutable. Its instruction and correction are sure - and are born out of love for us. We must keep listening. Daily devotions (Joshua 1:8), and weekly gatherings (Hebrews 10:25) are very important if we are to keep from straying.
Proverbs 21:16 is a sobering reinforcement to today's proverb: "A man who strays from the path of understanding comes to rest in the company of the dead."

No comments: