Friday, May 2, 2008

May 3

May 3 - Today from Proverbs 3 we look at verse 21
"My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight."

Some people seem to almost have natural tendencies toward wisdom. They must develop it, but it seems to be inherent. Others really have to work at attaining wisdom. I guess I am of the latter classification. Looking back on my life, for many, many years I was more of the foolish sort. I began to attain wisdom for sure when, at age thirty, I came to truly know the Lord Jesus. But even then, it was a long struggle to learn sound judgment and use discretion (the better term for 'discernment' in this verse). I don't doubt that wisdom for some is a natural gift from God - just like music is a gift. I suppose with enough effort and practice, everyone can learn to play the piano to some degree. But there are some who almost know how to play from the start. They are good at it early on, and as they practice they only get better. I'm not one of those either. I never got past the two-fingered composition of 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star'. I suppose that if I worked at it and practiced a lot I could have graduated to 'Chopsticks' and then on to some simple melodies. But I was never motivated by a passion for music. I guess I was never motivated by a passion for wisdom either.
When I came to know Jesus, however, I was motivated. When I first understood the reality of His sacrifice for me, I was motivated by awe and love. I wanted to know all about Him. I would never have admitted it then, but my next motivation was greed. The 'Prosperity Gospel' was in its prime in the late 70s and early 80s, and I got caught up in it pretty good. I still loved Him dearly, but my passion was no longer solely for Him, it was also for what I could get from Him. Then He introduced me to the 'suffering church' behind the Iron Curtain. The thin veil of deception was removed from my eyes, and I saw once again that my focus was to be on knowing Him and understanding His ways - for His purposes. Finally, I was motivated in the right direction and working hard at it. I am still working at it. Wisdom just doesn't come natural to me.
I looked up this verse in the KJV and the word discretion is used rather than discernment. They may be somewhat interchangeable, but I believe discretion is certainly the better word here. In the Hebrew, the word means 'plan'. A plan is something that one has to stop and think through the steps to reach the objective. It takes some calculated effort. I believe discernment has much more to do with perception. I think of it more as an instinct - either natural or developed. My wife has good discernment. She can usually choose a right course or make a right decision, but she can't tell you how or why she chose that course or made the decision. I am much more of a person of discretion. When I pursue an objective, I plan. Sound judgment comes into play when a person uses discretion. A judgment comes by way of viewing all of the evidence and then making a decision based on what is seen in the evidence. Sound judgment comes by making an effort to collect and assemble all the evidence you can, including what God says about it, before ever making a judgment. Because I do not particularly possess the gift of discernment, I look for people who I feel have proven to possess it. When I feel there is not enough good 'evidence' to make a proper judgment in pursuit of an objective, I consult with those who I trust show good discernment. Back when I was much more foolish, I seldom listened to my wife when she couldn't tell me the process of arriving at her conclusion or decision. It began to dawn on me how often she was correct, even though she couldn't explain the process. I now cherish her gift of discernment and consult with her often. I have a couple of other close associates who I trust have good discernment. I also value their input as I process situations.
To achieve sound judgment and discretion, one must view all evidence from God's perspective. Verse 5 of this chapter warns us not to lean on our own understanding. Sometimes it takes extra effort to collect all the evidence, but we benefit when we make that effort. Studying God's Word is one of those efforts. We are not to let it out of our sight. We are to be constantly renewing our mind. And then we guard (preserve) sound judgment and discretion by practicing it. James 1:22 says, "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." He then goes on to give the illustration of looking in the mirror. As long as you're looking, you know exactly what you look like. When you walk away, the details begin to fade in your memory. Come on now . . . tell me you're not a little surprised every time you look in the mirror at yourself!
Everyone can grow in wisdom. For those of us who have to work a little harder at it, God gives a promise in James 1:5, "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." But, this promise has a condition. We are not to be double-minded. We cannot be torn between God's Word and our own understanding. When we are, we cannot receive what God desires to give. If we genuinely ask Him for wisdom, then we need to work at seeking the evidences in His Word. Don't let them out of your sight.

No comments: